Jul 1, 2012

To microwave or not microwave...that is the question

Two months ago, I unplugged our microwave and removed it from the kitchen all together. Why in the world would I do that? Well, it started on a whim (which many things do) after seeing results from a science experiment. Two identical plants, one watered with spring water boiled then cooled on a stove and the other with the same water boiled in a microwave. The plant using the microwaved water wilted and basically died.


I was slightly concerned so I did what most of us would do and scoured the internet for more information.  Did you know that the Russians had banned microwaves all together? The internet is filled with the dangers of using microwaves. I found everything from microwaves linked to cancer, brain damage, hormone deficiency and of couse how it reduces the nutrients in foods because it does in fact change the molecular structures of what ever is being 'zapped'.  There is a lot of information out there, I will let you be the jude.

I can tell you that without the use of the microwave everything tastes better. Baked potatoes in the oven for 35 min versus 5 minutes in the microwave are infinitely better. (Skins scrubbed clean, a light coat of olive oil and salt = delicious) It really teaches us to slow down and enjoy our food. My kids did put up a fuss in the beginning. I remember feeling inept as a parent when my 9 year old asked me how to cook soup on the stove! Oh, goodness.

At this point I do not miss it one bit. Even the kids admit one of their favorite after school snacks, frozen burritos, taste better cooked in the oven or on the stove top than 'nuked' in the microwave. I guess, on a small scale, they are learning that good things are worth waiting for. In this day and age of technology and instant gratification I think a good dose of patience is a great thing. So whether there is danger or not we don't have to worry about it, our meals taste much better, and I am loving the extra counter space.

I have no idea if the microwave will be added back into our slew of kitchen gadgets at some point but, for now, I am perfectly content without it.

3 comments:

  1. I find it funny (funny, "Haha!" and funny, "Huh.") that I was reading your To Microwave or Not to Microwave post and there was a bizrate.com link in the ad spaces for over-range microwaves. Tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, then when I hit Post Comment, a new ad came up from a legal site about the dangers of microwave oven fires. HAHAHAHAHA! I'm definitely adding ads. I know they're random, but hilarious nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...